Brianna - San Antonio, Texas

I believe in hugs.

“Da me un abrazo, mija.” That’s the first thing my grandparents tell me each time I walk into their house. It is Spanish for “Give me a hug, my little girl.” In my family, you greet everyone with a hug It is even seen as a sign of disrespect when you arrive at a gathering and do not hug all your relatives. I love this tradition because, to me, a hug is much more meaningful than anything you could possibly say.

If asked, my friends would surely tell you that I hug them too much. I don’t believe there is a such thing as too many hugs. If someone sees that I am upset or stressed out, and just comes up and hugs me, I immediately feel better. It is just an action that has a wonderful impact on my mood. Sure, kind words can be soothing at times. Presents and gestures are okay too. But a hug…I cannot describe the effects of a genuine hug. It is an action that makes you feel so secure, such as someone wrapping their arms around you and squeezing every worry out of you- that is true consolation.

It’s just so amazing. A hug doesn’t cost a cent, and doesn’t take much effort to give. You don’t have to order them in advance, and you can’t possibly run out of them. It’s so easy, and yet, has an amazing result. So what can it hurt? Go out and hug someone. Everyone might not believe as strongly as I do in hugs, but it might inspire someone to pass it along.