Pamela - Cleburne, Texas

I believe that life is a process. . . . and this is good. We emerge from matter—as all living things do—and begin our individual journey.

As sentient beings in a society that revels in and even celebrates individuality, we have been given the gift to become whatever we want, to achieve to our greatest potential. We are, in effect, constantly becoming. And our unceasing transformation can continue until the moment we breathe our last breath and return to lifeless matter.

There is a dark side and a bright side to all this transforming and becoming. On the dark side are those who, because of their own tortured selves, fear the openness of becoming. They are the controllers and destroyers, convinced of their own righteousness, who trap others in their stagnant nightmare.

On the bright side are those who embrace the unexpected, who eagerly explore the unknown, whose search for knowledge is unquenchable and whose joy in constantly becoming is magnetic. Convinced of the benefits of their view of life, they may seek to share their view with others but this is an invitation, not a move to control.

Obviously, this is an oversimplification, but here’s the thing. Whether or not you believe in a supreme being, you can recognize the process of transformation and becoming in all living things. What that means to me is that we share a mystical force with all living creatures, the force, as Dylan Thomas says, “…that through the green fuse drives the flower.”

It means to me that possibilities for improvement—of whatever!—are endless. It means that I need not look back with shame or regret because ahead of me is always the opportunity to become….better. Because my life, as all life, is a process. And this fills me with unspeakable joy each day. And this is good.