James - Livonia, Michigan

As I have gone through the past eighteen years, I often wondered where am I headed. I just graduated from High School and found a new world ahead of me. I really had to question myself as to the path in which I should choose. Should I continue to just do things the easy way, or should I step up to the plate and start to challenge myself in doing the best for myself and others.

Going through High School wasn’t the best time of my life. Well, it was truly a lot of fun, but also a lot of troubling fun. Troubling meaning, I did what most kids did in High School and that was doing the right things and the wrong things. I found that doing the right things such as studying and showing up to class to be somewhat boring. It didn’t give you any reason to hide behind a lie or expand the truth as to what you were up to. Doing the wrong things, drinking, skipping class, and driving fast were all something we had fun with and had to become very creative in our explanations as to why and what we were up to. What will really get me high or excited and what should I continue to do? I asked myself that several times over.

After several times of getting caught up in doing the wrong things, it finally occurred to me that maybe it’s not all worth it. Maybe just doing what you are suppose to do and not making life hard might be the best route to choose. After all, I had been aging my parents quickly and really did feel bad for all the problems that were being caused at home for my parents and siblings. I was making life a living hell for all of them and I really wasn’t that type of person. But could I break out and away from what I was calling my lifestyle?

After some long hard talks with my parents, they finally got to me and made me realize that I was headed to the land of nowhere. Wow, where is that? I soon made a big turn and realize that my parents were correct in what they were saying. I took a big hard look at my friends and realized that they were not the best in town and began looking for friends that were really headed somewhere. It hasn’t been the easiest thing to do, but in doing so, I have found that laughing at life’s littlest of things are so much funnier than laughing at what I used to get away with. I have found that people are liking me for me and not for the reputation I had before. I thought that if you had a reputation of being in the know was all you needed. Not true.

Now I find myself golfing and playing hockey for the love I have for the sport and not to rattle someone out of a spot. I’m finding that being happy for everyone no matter how I place is they way to be. I have realized that being able to play the sports that I love so much is what it’s all about. I no longer worry about who is better or worse than me. In a easier way, I took pressure off of my shoulders. Walking thru life without the pressures that I have place upon myself has made everything easier for me. I now enjoy and have much happiness for everything.