Susan - Petoskey, Michigan

I have experienced the loss of ones close to me. The loss of these people has made a huge impact on my life. These people walking on at such an early age was meaningless. They could have prevented their death if they would have quit drinking, smoking or doing drugs. Because of this, I believe living with caution and learning from mistakes.

When I was about four years old my aunt, who was twenty-one, walked on due to drug use. My father, walked on at around fifty due to smoking cigarettes. My best friend, who was forty-six, walked on due to drinking. I’m not into drugs because I watched my auntie walk on while holding my hand; as she was huffing cooking Pam out of a plastic baggie. I have learned that drug use can destroy a person and others around them. Because of this, I believe living with caution and learning from mistakes.

My father, who smoked about two packs of Camel non filter cigarettes a day, for decades, walked on due to emphysema and lung cancer. I, decided to quit smoking after watching my father die. Because of this, I believe living with caution and learning from mistakes.

My best friend, who drank himself to death, could have lived longer if he would have put the bottle down a little sooner than he did. I used to be someone who would drink every weekend, or go off and drink for weeks straight. I have put the bottle down and look at life more seriously and focus on today. Because of this, I believe living with caution and learning from mistakes.

I lived a reckless life while growing up, but maturity makes me look at death differently. There is more to life than partying or doing what others do. I have learned that life is precious. I want to live a positive, healthy life, so I can watch my children, my grandchildren, and great-grandchildren lives blossom as they grow. I believe living with caution and learning from mistakes.