Melissa - Kent, Washington

Making a Mountain out of a Molehill

By: Melissa Croce

As a teenager, my age both helps and hinders me. On one hand I’m closer than ever to adulthood; I can get my driver’s license, stay out later, and in general be more independent. However, most adults believe that because we teenagers have less experience with life, automatically our views on the world shouldn’t be as respected as theirs.

And hey, I can admit it; I haven’t lived very long, only sixteen years. But just because I don’t know how to do taxes, or explain complicated scientific theories, or understand European politics doesn’t mean I don’t know my own mind. There are some aspects of life I am sure of.

Like the little things.

I believe that life is all about the little things. Life in general, I believe, is composed of tiny, almost insignificant moments that can add up into something incredible. Whether they be good or bad, I believe that these miniscule details and events in life can make or break our general days.

I’ve found out that for the most part, bad days are composed of those same little things—you know, the petty, unimportant events that people let ruin their day. Like how your little brother spilt orange juice on your favorite shirt (that you just got at the mall Saturday!) or how Jennifer had her party the exact same day you did, or how that one time you got a “C” on your math test—which, because you’re an “A” student, is totally unacceptable. And hey, I can admit it, I have definitely succumbed to being petty more than once in my lifetime.

But there are the important little things as well, if they can be called that. Tiny moments and trials that make you smile. It seems that I’ve been noticing them more and more lately, and looking back at this accumulated mass of details, I realize now that the little things can make your day brighter as well.

Like how yesterday, I woke up to sunshine instead of overcast skies. As a resident of Seattle, whose winter has been particularly gloomy, it made me so incredibly excited to wake up to rays of light filtering through my blinds. I opened up my window and could smell summer right around the corner, and that little event made the rest of my day.

Think about it; think of all those tiny aspects of life that never fail to make you smile. Like for me, while I enjoy waking up to the sun, going to bed with the rain pattering on my roof is incredibly soothing. I love reading a really exciting, inspiring book that I have to stay up until 2 A.M. to finish. I love taking naps. The smell of summer in the morning. Drinking Starbucks on a blustery day. Laughing with my friends over inane, yet hilarious, jokes. The quiet of snow falling. When my favorite song plays on the radio.

So many things, so many little things have the potential to bring us down, causing sneering words and scowls and general PMS-iness to emerge. But while they can try to depress us, in the end, the little things in life are what keep us going. This I wholeheartedly believe.