Teresa - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: setbacks

I can take the criticism, and I can take people pointing out my imperfections. I can take anything people throw at me because I believe that what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.

Through out my entire life in public schools, I was always made fun of. I was the out cast, and I was the “weird” girl. No one seemed to like me or care for me. At times I would think that I made a friend or two, but it didn’t take those people long to stab me in the back. It took me a long time to learn that if I was going to get through this, I would have to be more self-reliant. Now I know that those events didn’t kill me, therefore it made me stronger. Because I believe that what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.

I use to be the type of person who would let every one walk all over me. I did it because I thought people would like me for it. I thought people would be my friend and care for me if I gave them anything they wanted, but I was wrong. Ever since I became a strong woman, people have respected me for it. Now I know who my real friends are, and who really loves me. I realized that by being a “doormat” didn’t respect me. I had to learn the hard way, but I learned. Because I believe that what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.

I was once engaged to a man who was the most loving person in the world. He would bend over backwards for me. Or at least in the beginning. Then he started to show all the classic signs of an abusive person. He would get jealous easily, he would play head games with me, and made me feel like I was the problem in the relationship. He also drank a lot; it was almost an every day event. Everyday he would get belligerently drunk.

Then one day, what I was waiting for the entire relationship happened, he hit me. I wanted to leave, but I found myself struggling to get away from him. He would always apologize, but turn around and do the same thing. He always filled my head with false promises of changing, getting married and starting a family. I really should thank him for what he did. Yes what he did was horrible, wrong and no one should ever have to go through with that type of abuse, but he made me realize my belief, what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.

In conclusion, I have been through so many bad things in my life. But I did get one valuable lesson out of all of this. I believe what doesn’t kill me will make me stronger. I wanted to share my story with every one for one reason. Not get some sympathy for myself, but to show everyone that there is strength inside you that no one can defeat and that is your self confidence. And if you believe in your self then nothing can hurt you.