Whitney - Kansas City, Missouri
Themes: setbacks

Ten Thousand Second Chances

Every game I play, I either win or lose. One game I always lose is this big machine with a metal claw. Put in one quarter, and get one chance. I can never get the unicorn or bear that I always go for. One ear is in the claw, then “POP”, the bear is gone. But one game I know I will always win is a machine similar to the first. It is similar to the first. This machine has a metal claw, costs a quarter, and the prizes are little pieces of candy and small toys. The only other difference is you play until you win. So if I go for those Spiderman candy cigarettes and they drop before I get them, I get another chance, and another, and another, and another.

I believe that everyone deserves a second chance; second chance to redeem themselves or to earn back trust. A few months ago I was pulling my car into the garage and wasn’t paying much attention to my surroundings. Just as I thought I was in the clear, a loud, ugly scraping sound reached my ears. I had run my car into the side of the garage. In a flash, my car was correctly parked and the damage was being evaluated. A long blue paint streak was etched into the right side of my car and side mirror. I knew I was in a lot of trouble. As the garage door was closing I walked apprehensively upstairs to my fate. After being yelled at and getting the door fixed I was sure my dad would not let me drive again. But thankfully, my dad let me have a second chance. He said to be more careful, pay attention, and don’t let it happen again. My car is a necessity. Without that privilege I would not be able to drive to work or to school. I was thankful for my second chance.

Second chances are so important in our society today. Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, a lot of mistakes. Without second chances people could get into a lot of trouble. The first game only gave once chance. There are people who keep trying at the game, pushing in quarter after quarter and each time missing the stuffed platypus by 2 inches. But with the other game, your chances come until you win. That is more of what we need. More second chances.