Tyler - Matthews, North Carolina
Themes: hope, work

Definition Essay

Whether it wanting to become a aspiring actor or an famous rapper, everyone has a dream to become something greater than what they are. That’s why I believe in dreams and doing what ever it takes to make them come true.

People dream about everything. When I was younger I used to dream about being a famous actor. I would sit in my room and pretend I won an Oscar. I never cared about what I had to do to make my dream a reality. Now that I am older and in college, I often find myself dreaming about the kind of job I would want after I graduate. This dream is allot different from my childhood dream because now I think about the steps I need to take to make my dream come true. When I dream about the future I am often filled with a sense of hope as I sit on my couch and imagine my life after school. I put myself in an the category of people who I assume want to be successful in life as well.

I don’t think dreaming is childish, in fact, I was told by my mother that the ones who dream are the ones who do great things in this world. I often think about the people throughout history who have followed their dreams and made them a reality. Martin Luther King Jr. stood up for what he believed in and even though he was not alive to see the outcome, his dream came true. That’s the kind of dream that is powerful. His hopes and dreams made a huge impact on this country. Thomas Edison, who invented the light bulb, did everything he could to make life for us Americans easier. I see so many television shows that have people on who are following their dreams. Even if they are actors, its the stories that inspire me. I love watching reality television and I used to watch “The Hills” on MTV with my girlfriend. Actually, I was forced to at first. The show followed a girl who moves to Los Angeles to pursue a career in the fashion industry. I remember watching it and seeing everything this girl had to go through to pursue her dreams. In a weird way it kind of inspired me to enroll in school and do the same thing. Seeing people accomplish their dreams should inspire us to follow our own.

Now that I am in school pursuing an associates degree in graphic design, I have found that nothing worth dreaming about comes easy. College can be hard at times and sometimes it is hard to stay focus. I often find myself forcing myself to pay attention in class rather then talk to my neighbor. I come home late from work knowing that I am going to have to study and do my homework before going to bed. When I get my exams back and I see the huge A on the paper, I know it was worth every hour missed. I have found the days I don’t want to go to school are my best days because I always end up going and learning something I never knew before. I guess it has allot to do with determination. How bad do you want it? That’s what I am constantly asking myself. My dreams are so important to me that I know I have to keep focus and do my best. I just can’t give up.

I have most recently had experiences that made me fell that I was wasting my time. I have had allot of people tell me that being twenty one is too old to start school. Of course when I am trying to make something of myself, people always have to say something negative. I have expected some doors to be shut in my face when pursuing my dreams. I have come to expect hardships. Like I said before, nothing worth having comes easy. I applied for an summer internship with Fox Charlotte News. I did everything I could to get a interview but I was unsuccessful. I was disappointed but I had to shake it off and moved on. I have always looked at it like it was their loss.

In conclusion, I found that when pursuing my dreams I have been rewarded. I have met allot of cool people with dreams similar to mine. We are constantly inspiring each other to give it our all. I have also found that getting my name out there brings me closer to a company finding me and offering me a job. I have learned allot this year and I can’t wait till the next year. I am still constantly repeating my graduation date in the back of my head. I still dream and probably will till the day I physically can’t anymore. I will continue to do whatever I have to do to come out on top and make my future a better one. Dreams keep me going. They give hope for tomorrow and appreciation for today. Thats why I believe in dreams.