Catherine - Bloomington, Indiana

Don’t Go Breaking My Heart!

Heart; a truly broken heart. To me, I’ve felt that for almost a month now, for my heart and soul was lost. Lost on the wings of faith. My true existence for living is somewhere out there. My journal, HeartBreak.

Yes, I’m proud to announce that I had a journal. Yes, laugh if you must. What people need to understand is that owning a journal is not embarrassing, but it’s actually a very good thing. Having a journal lets you express yourself in a way that you might never have seen yourself before. Think of some of the writers like Anne Frank for instance. We might never have known what it really was like during the mists of World War Two had she not written. There are many other people who have written journals as I, myself know. Getting a journal is like receiving a new friend. However, this friend will never leave you no matter what. You can post birthdays, holidays, crushes, enemies who you’d like to crush, friends and anything that appeals. And then, there is the fact of not being judged by what you say.

My personnel belief resides in the life of my journal. Because I believe in the sentimental value of a diary. My diary, HeartBreak. I think it wise to inform you of how my audacious diary came to be…

HeartBreak (H.B.) was created on New Years Eve just as the disco ball was coming down in New York City celebrating the year 2006. Right from the very moment I began writing in HeartBreak I felt something. A sort of, connection. Something I had never felt before in all my twelve years.

At first, I will admit I was unfaithful to my beloved HeartBreak. I lied to her, didn’t write as much as I’d pledged to do. Then toward the end of my sixth grade year, I lost my friends in a fight over popularity versus being completely unpopular. Looking back on it… it seems crazy, but at the time it was major. But alas, then HeartBreak came to my rescue. She consoled and sympathized with me. Over time I found I could forget the cruel words my friends and I had said to each other. I grew close to her as time went by. Then, in the middle of seventh grade my darling HeartBreak disappeared. She was gone. Panicked, I searched for her but it was all in vain. I had to face the music: HeartBreak was gone and I would never see her again. Then, I remembered what HeartBreak had taught me. “Trust in yourself and your heart.” That statement pulled me through my loss and set me back on track.

HeartBreak brought out the good in me and served me to the limits of her ability. She’s gone from my grasps for good. But what about you? Will you search and find your “HeartBreak?”