Maddie - Kansas City, Missouri

The Many Elements to Worrying

Worry. What would our lives be like if there was no such thing as worrying? Would we ever truly achieve our goals? Would we be the same people that we are today? Would our lives be easier and less stressful? Would we enjoy our lives more, or would we sometimes miss that little feeling that you get before a test when your stomach just drops? Might we feel as if our lives are meaningless, as though there is no point in living?

I believe that stress and worrying provide a positive effect on everyone’s life. Although I have never deeply thought about this belief before now, it first occurred to me at the age of nine. It was a hot, sticky summer day in the middle of August. My birthday had just came and gone a few weeks earlier and school was about to start up again. My Aunt Stacey had told me that she couldn’t think of anything to get me for my birthday. I clearly remember her saying, “You kids are so picky and difficult to buy for these days!” I guess her solution to this problem was to take my friends and me to Worlds of Fun. Now considering the fact that I have hated amusements parks all of my life, I wasn’t exactly too thrilled.

My Aunt Stacey, along with three of my friends, and I arrived at the amusement park around 10:30. Of course we had to get a full day in at the wonderful place. My heart was beating faster than it ever had before. I tried to play it off as if I were “so excited” and couldn’t wait to step onto that first ride. We started off with the easier rides, the giant swings, the tea cups, and even just some of the games. Then, what I knew was coming all along, finally came. The Detinator. It was the ride that you sit down and are strapped into a chair, and you shoot straight up. All three of my friends just had to go on it and were so excited, and my Aunt was right along with them. Finally we reached the front of the line and the hairy, sweaty worker strapped us into our seats. I thought that I was going to die, for sure! I closed my eyes and tried not to cry and BOOM! I shot up to the top of the ride.

When I stepped off the ride I ran over to the trash can and threw up the funnel cake that I had eaten earlier that day. It was sort of a feeling of relief though, not sickness. Now you might be a little confused right now as to how worrying benefited me in this situation. If you are nervous to do something and then finally do it, you gain a sense of accomplishment and that’s one of the best feelings in the world. What would life be like if we were never taken out of our comfort zone? Yes, it would be pretty boring and uneventful. Although I have never returned to that wonderful amusement park, Worlds of fun, I always try to remember that worrying is not the worst thing in the world. Good almost always comes out of it.