Amy - Kansas City, Missouri

We are Civilized

Bang! “We are civilized around here!” yells my dad jokingly as his fist hits the table, emulating my late grandpa. As he says this, my sister laughs, spewing the drink she just took. This occurrence, or one similar, happens almost every evening at the dinner table in my house.

I believe in my mom’s cooking and sitting down to eat dinner as a family every night. I don’t just believe this because of the recent obesity problem from eating fast food all the time; I believe this because I grew up this way.

My mom is an amazing cook. She could win awards for her cooking if she entered contests. Phenomenal characterizes everything she concocts, it really doesn’t matter what it is. It could be something fancy that she slaves over all day like smoked brisket, baked beans, and her famous potato salad, or something as simple as her homemade rendition of tuna helper.

I believe in more than just the cooking, though. The conversation that goes along with it makes it great. If we have someone over for dinner we either make them laugh so hard they cry by the end of the night or we just plain scare them. Almost every night at dinner my dad says something about the weather to get us back to a “clean” discussion.

My dad – the only male at the table – frequently gets confused in all of the gossip. The girls – my mom, my sister, and I – will start with one topic and somehow that leads to another and it just keeps going until finally, a half hour later, we finish the original story (all the girls out there know exactly what I mean). Throughout all the stories my dad acts like his goofy self and usually manages to get somebody to almost drown in their drink.

I believe in my mom’s cooking and eating as a family. This combination makes dinner perfect. Not only do you have an unbelievably tasty home cooked meal, but also live entertainment with “civilized” people.