Ashley - Jacksonville, Florida

I spend my college career taking six classes per semester, five days a week. As mind boggling as this concept is, there is more…I slave away twenty hours a week being other people’s servant and devote at the minimum one night per week to Student Government. To say I stress, a lot, is an understatement. I am always doing something; homework, sleeping, driving, etc.

Driving is my sanctuary. It has been ever since I was a child. As a baby, my parents drove me to put me to sleep on the nights when I refused. As an adolescent, it was my connection to my parents as they lived in two different cities. When older with my license, driving became my get away from the hectic of life.

On the sunny days I open the sun roof, roll down the windows, and turn Madonna’s Like A Virgin up to maximum volume 62 to belch away the day. On the rainy days, I leave the sun roof closed, the windows up, and the radio off to think in peace. Sitting behind the wheel, my destination is unknown, I just drive.

Driving is therapeutic as one can think clearly within the automobile. Its energizing as one can rest when within the automobile. Its lifting as one can take them self away from the outside world when within the automobile. This I believe, driving to be an everyday restoration of the mind, body, and soul.