Jessica - Waxhaw, North Carolina

I believe in Responsibility

I believe in taking responsibility for my actions. During my life experiences I’ve learned that people make mistakes and they mess up, but in order to move on in life we need to take responsibility for what we’ve done. I believe that through responsibility we receive a sense of accomplishment. I think of my father-inlaw, who is a construction worker, I’m sure he doesn’t want to get up at 5:00 every morning just to build homes that are nicer than his, but he knows that he has a family to take care of. He has a responsibility to provide for his family, and he does every day.

I believe that life is like an ocean and there are some people who go through life either sailing not knowing where there going just as long as they make it. And there are people who are ridding the waves, always looking for the next big one, and trying to do better than the last. Then there are people who are drowning, those people aren’t trying to better themselves. I believe that in life we all need responsibility. We need to try harder even if it means getting up at 5:00 in the morning and sacrificing some of our personal needs. By taking responsibility we can better our lives, we can know that we did accomplish something on our own.

I think of my life, when I was seventeen I found out that I was pregnant. I had a lot of options – I could have an abortion and gotten ride of the baby, or I could have given my child up for adoption. That seemed like I would be pushing my problem onto someone else. Or I could keep my baby, and take responsibility for my mistake. I could stay out of school or continue my education. I took responsibility for what I had done. I did sacrifice a lot of things, I had to work all the time, while going to school, and caring for my baby. But I did it and I believe that if I would not have taken responsibility for my actions I would not be as happy and successful as I am today.

I think of the people who get a mediocre job, working a low paying job for the rest of their lives not pursuing for something better. Why not better yourself? I get up every morning and tell myself that I’m doing this so that I can have something better in life. I get up and go to school so that I can have something better. I work so that I will have something better. I do all this because I believe that when I take responsibility for my actions that I will have something better.