Hernan - Miami, Florida

Fate Is a Decision

My parents came to America with a measly hundred dollars, two children and a third child on the way. We knew no one upon arriving. We had nowhere to go and nowhere to stay. Twenty years later, at the age of fifty two, my parents have retired in a cabin at the top of two acres in the home their parents told them they could only dream of. My father in law came to America as a refugee from Cuba through Panama with a wife and 5 year old daughter. They had no more than fifty dollars. He now drives a Mercedes Benz and is worth more than the entire village he grew up in. Starting with nothing, they have succeeded and have become something their society taught them they could never achieve. They decided to take fate into their own hands.

What determines whether we succeed? What determines whether we fail miserably? Many are quick to find a reason why things happen the way they do. Many people will give up before they even attempt to try. I believe fate is what we make it. We determine what our future holds and while some may try to stop us, we possess the power and will to move past them.

I have many friends that claim they cannot find a decent job because the city is too crowded and there is always someone more qualified. What you become is all a product of your own decisions and actions. If you can’t get a job because someone is more qualified, work harder. People are quick to rely on excuses to solve their problems but ultimately, they are who they are because they made themselves that way.

I believe that as long as you never give up, you will always succeed. Never settle for mediocrity. We choose who we want to be. Some choose to stay at the bottom while some choose to rise up. Success does not come without struggle. A person cannot truly appreciate success unless they have failed at least once. If you stumble, get back up and try again. The reason you fell the first time is to teach you to get back up and only you posses the will to keep fighting.

In a country such as America, it is your own fault if you live on the street. So many immigrants come to this country everyday and go on to become successful while so many who were born in this country have given up. They blame their parents or society for their failure. Failure is only an option if you make it one. I believe if you work hard at something and endure the struggle; it will always pay off in the long run. Success is not something that happens overnight. Complaining about the struggles will only weaken your chances.

I have learned from my parents and fellow immigrants that anything is possible if your try hard enough. If I want something bad enough, nothing will stand in my way. And if something does, I will knock it over but not without patience. Work hard, never surrender and success is inevitable. Success is in our reach if we want it bad enough. Only you can decide if you want it bad enough. Fate is not something that is predetermined; it is your plan in life.