Colleen - Chesapeake, Virginia

I Believe in Sparkles

I believe in Sparkles. Standing less than two feet tall and weighing only twenty-nine pounds, my little Beagle is one of the most important parts of my life. I found her at the S.P.C.A. Little did I know how much of an impact this little ball of fur would have on my life.

I feed her and take her out to do her business, but I believe a much deeper bond exists. I talk to her and she listens. She may not understand what I say, but the fact that she gives me her attention means the world to me.

Unconditional love – It’s the sense of security that no matter what mistakes I make, someone will always forgive me. It’s the idea that someone needs me as much as I need her. It’s the security that someone will always be there for me, no matter what. I found this form of love in Sparkles.

Everyday as I walk up to my apartment after eight hours of torturous work, I see her nose poking out from under the blinds. I smile as I see her dart to the door, anxious to greet me. I walk in the house, and it becomes a crazy scene; she’s jumping on me, and then running around in circles with her tongue hanging out. She is always so happy to see me. And the best thing is, even though I may not show it by jumping up and down, I’m just as happy to see her, too.

Cuddling up on the couch with her head resting on my thigh she gives me comfort even through the toughest of times. She collapses next to me as I watch television or work on my laptop. She takes comfort in being close, and the feeling is definitely mutual.

Happiness also comes through car rides. Sparkles is oblivious to the fact she’s a dog, possibly because she may be the most spoiled dog ever. She rides in the passenger seat, watching cars and people pass by. She stands up at red lights to put her face into my shoulder, begging for attention. She loves affection, much like her owner.

No matter what I may do, leave her at home alone when she so wants to go outside, or eat dinner without dropping a few morsels under the table, she always forgives me. Likewise, when she makes those mistakes on the carpet I can’t stay mad more than a few moments.

I feel that we rescued each other the day I took her home from the S.P.C.A. She escaped the kennel and I gained a best friend for life. I couldn’t ask for a better companion. And for this, I believe in Sparkles.