Shannon - Jacksonville, Florida

I believe that paths aren’t always what they seem. In the beginning paths are colorful, guiding, and straightforward. Once you deviate from that path, you become off balance. The very path that I chose to go down seemed to be the path that was going to lead me to a very bright future. Unfortunately, I deviated from the path and found myself lost.

Sitting in my accounting class listening to the professor talk about accumulated depreciation, debits and credits, I realized that the path that I was so willing to go down wasn’t appealing to me anymore. I found myself lost and confused. Mulling over such a big decision, lead me down a different path, a path that wasn’t too different than the first.

I decided to make my parents happy and stick with business as my major, but concentrate on finance. That was a big mistake, because the path definitely wasn’t the one for me. Taking an alternate path than talking again with my parents, I went and talked with an advisor. The advisor told me that in order to succeed in finance, I must be motivated and determined to work hard. I thought to myself for a brief moment, and responded to the advisors comment. I informed her, that I was motivated, determined and worked hard. My last option was to look at who I was, and what made me happy.

In a last attempt, I talked to my parents that same night. I told them that I wasn’t happy with the path that I have chosen for myself and that I wont be happy until I know what path is calling me. Looking in the course description catalogue, I realized that my calling was starring right in front of my face. I believed that my calling was for me to be a teacher. Although my paths deviated me from finding my true calling, I eventually find the correct path. And I am happy to say, I am graduating this semester and plan on teaching in the fall.