Andreya - Kansas City, Missouri

I believe that Food Shouldn’t be Wasted

I want to be a chef so I love eating food and cooking it. When there’s food around I automatically start brainstorming about what I could make with it. Everyone and everything always want food right?

I believe that food should not be wasted. People everywhere around the world waste tons of food everyday. If I’m going to be a chef you really think I will want you to come to my restaurant wasting valuable food, money, or time? Your right cooking is my passion but I don’t like seeing food going down the drain. There are homeless people eating off the ground, if you don’t want the food at least take it to them. I know you can’t savage every single piece of food you have but at least do something of good use with it.

I remember when I was younger when we use to go out to eat me, my sisters, and brothers would always waste food. When we would get home our parents would say “yall wasted all that food, do you know how much money that cost.” My parents told us that weren’t ever going to take us out again. We would say “were not going to waste anymore food the next time (knowing that we would).” Now that I’m older I know what they meant. I know what they meant. I know you probably thinking okay what the big deal is about. If we didn’t waste so much food no one would be in debt. Why buy so much just to waste it? I think if you waste food you might as well burn your money. I’m not being judgmental or anything. I’m pretty sure there are some people who agree with me on this subject, some who disagree, and some who don’t care or don’t know. That just shows that our society is very wasteful. Just to make a cake it takes almost three hours. You have to prep everything make the batter and then after its done cooling off put the icing on there that takes a lot of time and effort.

The real reason why I believe food shouldn’t be wasted is because it wasn’t made to be wasted. On a subject like this you really would have to put yourself in someone else shoes. I really didn’t start looking at this food issue until I was about thirteen years old. Even though this essay will not change anyone’s mind I still believe food should not be wasted.