Brianna - Flint, Michigan

As a seventeen year old high school student, everyday I see arguments and fights between my peers. High school students have not matured enough to know what to do when a friend betrays them. I see the first priority of my peers is to show their power, by fighting. They will even fight their best friend for betraying them. I see all my peers believing that violence is the way to solve all problems. In today’s society, violence appears to be the only way to show a friend they were wrong. They want respect from other peers and will do anything to gain it.

You see, once I entered high school I began seeing the cockiness between my peers. Then I realized that violence is used by all members of our society to solve their problems. I have seen it everyday on the news, in the newspapers, at school, in music, on the internet, and even going to the mall. Everyday in the news there is a headline that involves violence. Just recently their was a story on the news about two graduates that were shot and killed for supposedly “ratting” somebody out. The men who shot them wanted their respect and had to have revenge. I believe it is tragic when a simple disagreement ends up taking a life. Even though I see how easily an argument could escalate into something more than just a fist fight, I don’t know how it has become societies way to take a life.

It has been proven that Flint, Michigan, is the second most dangerous city in the United States to live. Many of the schools have to have a police officer in the school so that the students can feel safe. It is sad to have police outside and in the school. This is not what high school students should have to worry about. It is not a warm welcome when you enter the high school with police at the door.

When a fight breaks out, kids cheer, chant and circle around it. No one seems to care enough to get help or stop it. All they seem to see is the excitement and they want to congratulate the winner. Violence is all my peers know. They believe that fighting and killing is a necessity in order to gain respect and power.

No matter how hard I try I cannot see their point of view. I understand how it hurts when someone betrays you or disrespects you. It makes a person very angry and they want to seek revenge. They want that person to feel the pain they inflicted. There are other ways to solve conflicts because killing someone does not solve anything. My peers honestly think that is the only person that will ever betray them. Is it worth throwing your life away? Yet, in today’s society, it is acceptable. I believe if my peers and today’s society actually took a look at how foolish they are for wasting their time and life on something so small, then they would make wiser choices. Maybe then they would see that cocking the gun and aiming to solve their own anger and hate is a mistake. This I believe.