June - Jamesport,, New York
Age Group: 65+
Themes: tolerance

I bellieve in mother love. It starts before the baby is born, while still in the womb. Mother love is such a powerful benefit that without it mankind is left floundering. It is the glue that holds society in check. Of course, you can find exemptions – such as Ma Barker who was a bad example for her crime loving sons. But for the most part those successful people in history have been those whose mothers had shown their love in positive ways. For a good example look to Thomas Edison.

When we hear of horrific killing (s) such as in the news this week, the news media blames mental illness for these acts. But what is “mental illness?” How does it start? Are we to believe a baby is evil from the womb? I don’t believe so. While these stores are hard to explain and are abhorrent to us, the rush to blanket these disturbed people with that label of being mentally ill, is not so easilly explained or discounted that way. I believe, if we look closely, that “mental illness” in many cases is a sad and severe case of the lack of love.. mostly mother love and perhaps over a long period of time. No amount of drugs pumped into the system can take the place of that love. Not all people unblessed as to find themselves without mother love, turn into bad or unhappy people. In those cases, the love of friends and other family members take the place. For an example of how strong mother love is, or rather the lack of it is, just look at the babies left to be adopted in the “baby houses” of other countries. They are unresponsive and slow to develop and indeed if not shown love and caring by someone, sometimes never develop into productive citizens.

If only one of the two girls that turned Cho into the police for harrassing them had shown just a little bit of compassion, maybe all the things that happened at Blacksburg would not have happened. I am not blaming them or over simplifying the terrible terrible events, but truly, love is a powerful tool and can change the actions of trouble people. This sad event can only make us look more closely to those around us – to ask if there isn’t something we can do to help those who may also feel unloved. (or edit this way: If only someone had been able to penetrate Cho’s perception of himself as being unloved, with some kinness and compassion….maybe…etc. etc.)

I worry now, at the barrage of news and the newest NBC revelations of photos and “ramblings” being broadcast over and over again. Will there be copy cats wanting that same attention and pushed into getting it with similar sad acts?