Megan - Alanason, Michigan
Themes: forgiveness

I believe forgiveness is making peace with yourself or others and being able to move on. It’s not easy to forgive yourself or others; it almost seems easier to hold a grudge rather than letting it go. Mahatma Gandhi once said, “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” To forgive somebody, or even yourself you have to be strong. Staying angry or upset with someone is easier because you want them to feel the pain you have, so there is a grudge that forms into anger. Anger is hard on your soul and having peace is easier said than done. One has to make the choice whether to let the event hold them down, or to rise above it.

My mother, sister, and I lived with my aunt at one point for only a few months. It started off fine and it felt as though we were wearing out our welcome. My aunt asked us one day, very abruptly, to move out. We had no other family members that would let us stay and so we bounced from hotel to hotel. I felt very angry because this wasn’t the first time it has happened to us, and because of the way my aunt went about the situation. For awhile I thought we’d finally get back on our feet but these little bumps in the road all seemed to happen at one time to create a very bumpy ride. Eventually we found a place to live and my mother found a decent job.

Through that time I had to step back and take a look at the big picture and realize that things happen for a reason; my aunt is still my aunt. It was hard to forgive her, but I really felt like a weight was lifted and I had peace. Forgiving someone for their words or actions is challenging. It is almost like a test, a test of inner strength and dignity. One has the ability to change their feelings toward others and make their outlook a little more positive. As each day goes by I am thankful for where I am now, and each day gets easier with all the thoughts of progressing in my life. Inner strength is key, and once you have forgiven you can claim your peace and move on to greater things.