Savannah - Kansas City, Missouri

“Did you hear about that girl?” I am a high school junior. I could say that I am average, but I’m not really sure what average is. Though, I can tell you one thing that every high school student endures; drama. By drama I mean emotions. I’m talking about gossiping, backstabbing, cheating, all of those things. I believe in high school drama, school would be boring without it. Don’t get me wrong, drama can do some damage, but for me it changed my life and years of high school and not necessarily in a bad way.

“Look at what she is wearing!” I have personally tried to calm down all of the drama because too much of it is just overwhelming. Freshman year, my life was hit by a speeding bullet of emotion. Drama ripped apart my friendship and flushed it down the toilet.

She had been my best friend for 5 years. We were kind of fading because we started hanging out with other people and making new friends. She told me that a guy told her that he liked her, but I knew for a fact that he liked another girl. I confronted him about it and he denied everything she told me. Then when she went to talk to him, she called me a liar and some other names. But this was just the beginning.

“She said what about me?” Some thoughts just shouldn’t be said out loud. If you didn’t want anyone to find out, then you can’t tell just one person. It’s a matter of time before that one person becomes fifty people.

From then on, I kept hearing about things that she was saying about me and calling me names. What didn’t make sense to me is that she would say those awful things and then be completely nice and friendly to me when I was around. At one point in time, her mom came up to me and told me to “grow up.”

It was then that I realized this friendship was not a healthy one and I needed to get out of it fast. The next week I found myself in the peace room with her and a counselor. We tried working things out, but it seemed like I didn’t have any support and that the counselor was attacking me with such hard questions. Everything that I had to say was “hear-say” and it was like none of it counted. My eyes watered as I felt the emotions overcome my body.

I walked out of that room feeling like a failure and like everything was my fault. Bawling my eyes out for the next twenty minutes, I sat thinking. I realized that neither of us had been a good friend and that maybe we just weren’t meant to be friends. I’m glad that our friendship ended right there because I just don’t know how much worse it would’ve gotten. It may have been the best thing to happen to me that year. I see her every now and then and we say, “Hey,” and smile. I don’t talk about her and she doesn’t talk about me. Since then drama has evaporated from my life.

Drama shows people’s insecurities and who they really are. It changes them and influences their high school years. Drama—itself—has changed me as a person, for the better. This I believe.