Melissa - Monroe, North Carolina
Themes: pleasure

I believe in desserts. A dessert of any kind brings joy to my soul.

Desserts ranging from cakes, pies or cookies are amongst my favorite. I have not met a person yet who would not care for such. Someone who just moved into the neighborhood, what better way to welcome them than with a plate of freshly baked homemade cookies? To make a person smile as I hand the plate to them brings joy to my soul.

A Cake or pie, I consider having made to devour after a Sunday dinner. To bring out a three layered chocolate cake covered in a chocolate ganache or a lemon pie with a meringue stacked a mile high will bring ooohs and aaahs from my loved ones. To see them scramble to see who will get the first slice of sweet delight brings joy to my soul.

Desserts are my passion. I prepare and bake these delicious delectables not just for myself but for the people who I love and care about. This passion of mine brings peace within myself after I have had a long day or week. Measuring the sugar, flour, vanilla and eggs takes my mind off of my everyday life concerns for that moment. I hope everyone has a passion that brings that sense of peace to them.

My belief in desserts has been a timed honored family tradition. Beginning with my great grandmother passed onto me, I have collected hundreds of recipes. I do have to say, homemade fudge is my specialty. The recipe I use to make my batch of chocolate walnut fudge has been passed down throughout three generations. My grandmother, I have to say in my eyes, is the master fudge maker. She taught me her secret to this trade. Her secret some may want to know, a wooden spoon she has used for years and this spoon is only used for stirring this rich and creamy delight. Why? I have asked her this. “It is seasoned dear”. I’ve had the privilege of helping my grandmother in her powder blue kitchen, measuring out ingredients while talking about life issues and values along with several belly shaking laughs. I typically only make my fudge during the holidays and adding those memories spent with my grandmother makes my holidays even more special. This tradition and my belief in desserts are being passed along to my son every time he sits on top of the counter pouring the ingredients into a bowl. This brings joy to my soul.

I believe in desserts because they can bring a smile to a strangers face. Desserts bring happiness and places special memories in my mind that will never be forgotten. Desserts can tell a person how much they are loved and cared for without speaking a single word. In my world, desserts are a must, at least once maybe twice a week if I watch the portion. It is a tradition within my family, which in return has become a passion of mine. I carry this love for desserts onto my son just as it was done so with me in hopes of the tradition carrying on to another generation. This is why I believe in desserts.