Katelyn - Avoca, Pennsylvania

I believe in faith.

When I was about thirteen my father had got in an accident at work. My father fixes furnaces and other gas units for a living. He also delivers propane. It was Christmas Eve day. He was not the happy about working, but he did it anyway. I was home with my mom preparing for our traditional dinner. My mom received the call that dad had gotten hurt somewhere between 10 and 11’oclock in the morning. She told me that a fireplace had blown up in dad’s face. She was driving down to the hospital in Danville. I then told her I was going with her. My cousin, mother, sister, and I ended up driving down together.

The drive lasted forever, and my stomach was in knots the entire time until we got to the hospital. It was two hours before I actually saw my dad. When I saw him, I was filled in on the details. A fireplace had exploded in his face causing the glass cover shatter. This blew glass into his eyes and the fire burned most of the hair off his arms and face. If he had been standing in front of the unit he would have been killed. There lying on a hospital bed, the only thing he was concerned with was that he would never be able to see his little girls’ faces again.

I had never felt so lost. My father, who I thought was invincible, was helpless in a hospital bed, the hair burnt off his face, and losing his eyesight. That night we slept in a motel across from the hospital. I couldn’t sleep because of the thin walls in the motel and the constant worrying about my father. My mother told me to believe in the doctors and nurses because they knew what they were doing. That night I prayed for the first time in a while.

My father was released the next day. He still could not see and was sore and tired. The rest of my Christmas presents did not matter. His being alive was the best gift of all. That experience is why I believe in faith. Faith in God and the doctors and nurses who got me thought the hardest experience in my life.