Patricia - Bellevue, Nebraska

I believe in the power of words – Words can praise and sometimes hurt those we love. I was made aware of this in a most heartbreaking manner. I received an e-mail from my daughter, who said it was the hardest letter she ever had to write. Apparently I have made my 17 year old grandson, and my 12 year old granddaughter feel as if I don’t care about them or their achievements, and that I favor one of my grandsons over the other six kids. I was absolutely devastated by this. I cried for hours. It was and never has been my intention to hurt any of my grandchildren, but without knowing it, I had. I was so afraid I had lost their love and respect and that hurt me more than anything. My grandkids are my life. It was never my intent to slight them in any way. Not saying what you feel can be as bad as saying something to deliberately hurt them. Always speak from your heart! And always think how your words can affect those you love. I now know I would do anything for my grandkids. I love them more than life itself.

I know to, that I have hurt my daughters and sons-in-law because this has affected all of them in ways I never thought possible. I can only hope to earn their love and respect again. I have wrongs to right, and have already started making amends. I will spend the rest of my days trying to show all of them how much I love them, and am so proud to be their grandma. I have learned to tell each and everyone of them how I feel about them, see as many as their track meets, singing competitions, tennis matches, basketball games, and volleyball games as I can. I plan on being a hands on grandma from now on.

The power of words can also heal the breach that was unintentionally made by not being there for them when they needed me to be. I believe family is the most precious gift in the world. If you have family, you have everything.

I thank God every day for mine. As I said at the beginning, “I believe in the power of words.” And the power of love has brought my family back to me.