Grace - Wylie, Texas
Age Group: 65+

I believe in using what I have learned. During my elementary through high school years, my band directors taught me to play every instrument in the band believing that I might become a public school music teacher when I grew up. That did not happen, though I did teach Mathematics for 6 years. I don’t know what I will do with the last 25 years of my projected century long lifetime; however, I have shared the music training I received with many young people over the years. I only helped at the beginning of their music lessons when time and patience were enough to encourage learning. One student received a performing piano scholarship to college and another played trumpet throughout high school and college. An eight year old played “The Wedding March” for a cousin’s wedding delighting all present. I believe I used the basics I learned.

Crocheting baby afghans for Newborns-in-Need uses time I am listening to books on tape, attending lectures, or just watching television. One baby afghan pattern I learned, I have crocheted over and over while riding on a bus in Europe, flying to Australia, and on an Alaskan cruise. I find that anytime I want to stay awake and still accomplish something that stays done, crocheting a baby afghan uses something I have learned that is a gift for a baby who would not otherwise have one.

Making lap quilts for children and pet pads for dogs or cats is my way of using a twenty-year old Gammill longarm quilting machine given to me that I have learned to operate. I hope my less than perfect quilting skills provide real pleasure for children and pets. Using this same learning helps friends complete their quilts when perfection is less important than getting it done. For some of us, anything worth doing is worth doing badly and done is beautiful!

Auditing skills learned while working for the U.S. Department of Defense, I still use to audit the books and records of church, social, and non-profit organizations when the specialized assurances of certified public accountants are not required.

I believe that using the abilities I have learned is my way to say thank you to all the people in my life who have given so much to me. Life-long learning is important to me, but so, too, is using what has been taught to me to help those around me when our paths cross.