Gus - pembroke pines, Florida

This I Believe Review

When we talk about survival, we are referring to the competition, the fight, and the endless struggle to succeed in the future. We start building the foundation of our lives as children; from a young age, society molds our thoughts, goals and values. The ultimate accomplishment of a person is being able to support their family. Society has convinced us that in order to become successful we must obtain a bachelor degree. I believe that, a degree is nothing but a piece of paper that states that you have some knowledge in a specified field. Moreover, it is a mast to support yourself on, a platform in which you can stand higher than everyone else that does not have one.

I think that a large percentage of the material that we learn in school will not be used on a daily basis for life performance. I am not stating that is pointless to go to school, but why emphasize on a subject that we will not use. It is the common knowledge in all the fields, which gives us the ability to carry on a conversation concerning any subject; it is important to have a general idea on what the world is based on. One theory holds true, we learn something new everyday, it may not be something important but something we could use in the future.

The fact is, you need a degree in order to be noticed; most companies, bosses, personnel and anybody that surrounds you will judge you and label you as a successful person or not, but what if you have all the knowledge in the world but no experience. Everyone thinks different, as we are all different. Why can some one without a bachelor’s degree, be as successful or be as wealthy? I would really like to ask that to Bill Gates. If I was to be asked that, I would say, dedication, perseverance, knowledge, determination to do something and the gift to know how to do it and of course, a degree helps but it can be done without it. How come I mentioned a gift? I am not talking of a present but a skill that allows you to learn it easier and quicker than others. As time goes you get better and better. As I said before, we are all different and we can all do something better than others but it does not mean we are better than anyone, performing a task might be harder for some than others.

I believe that you do not need a degree for some of the careers out there. I am not saying that you do not need the knowledge that we get from going to school because you do and you do for most of the carriers out there, but if that something, that gift, that thing that makes you unique is in you, it can be done without a degree.