Marketa - Kansas City, Missouri

I Believe in the Power of Music

One afternoon – after one of those boring days at school – I decided to take a break: relaxing and listening to music. I opened my computer, picked a song, and began to look for an interesting theme for my essay. While the ideas burgeoned in my head, I heard Richard Ashcroft‘sbeautiful voice: “Music is a power, let it flow though your mind” …I was completely taken away – I floated on a cloud in another world created by my imagination – and suddenly realized that music has a power and that it’s exactly that it exercising on me. I discovered that music is one way to escape reality and take away our emotions. Is there anyone for whom music is completely emotionally-neutral?Music is very important in my daily life, so I know exactly what I amtalking about: this euphoric melody which creates a gripping feeling, which seems to emerge from nowhere. These feelings color our moods, affect our perceptions and generate behavioral pattern.I believe that music has the power to cause emotions to well up within us. Someone once said: “the music has charms to soothe the savage beast”. The rhythm, the melody, the instruments, and the voice of the singer as a whole can create feelings in the listener. These may produce expressions of various emotions like relaxation, festivity, sadness, jubilance, invigoration, soulfulness or tranquility…Music has this power over me; good music always touches my emotions. I love music because it has this magic and soul. It evokes and create different feelings in me. True music reaches far deeper and touches and leaves an imprint on me. For example, when I listen to “soft” music like Damien Rice or Counting Crows I can cry due the lyrics and the effect of the music on me. On the other hand, when I listen to Jack Johnson his music makes me happy and/or can relax me. I think it is amazing how music can have an impact on our states of mind and humor. I know that we probably can not catalog all the effects music has on us, or explain or describe such feelings in ordinary language. You can only feel it! This can be described as a mystic experience, which baffles analytical explanation.And it’s why I really enjoy listening to music, or more exactly certain kinds of songs repeatedly because of the emotions that they evoke in me.I feel these songs give me a certain power: the ability to touch the human soul across time and space.I believe that music can cure. Music has a potent impact on the mind, the body and spirit, and can be used to effect healthy changes. Can you believe that more and more doctors are using music as part of their treatments to help patients remain healthy and recover more quickly from illness?I believe that music helps us escape our daily routine, and allows us to use our imagination. Listening to music can give us a healthy mental break from a stressful day. Music helps provide a more relaxing environment, thus allowing our imagination to take flight and provide comfort with inner turmoil, and help us find inner peace. It can help us find a better path and shed new light where there is darkness. I have found that music helps awaken our inner desires and needs which allows us to reconnect to this world…So, I believe in the indisputable fact that music is an art, a passion, which has an incredible power over people.And the only way to check is to turn on the music!