Anna - Monroe, North Carolina

I believe in the power of positive thinking. Dr. Norman Vincent Peale wrote an inspirational best selling book about the power of positive thinking and many other books have been written on the subject. Other authors have called it finding purpose in your life or living your best life but I believe it all comes back to the basic idea of the power of living your life with a positive attitude.

I have not always believed in this power of positive thinking idea. In my early school years this was not an attitude that I was exposed to very much. When I began school in kindergarten I enjoyed making new friends and having new adventures. Then came first grade and the big push to read. Sure other kids were already reading but I was still working on the having fun new adventures part of school and this whole reading concept was very difficult for me. The harder my teacher pushed and the more frustrated she got with me the more frustrated I became. Neither of our attitudes was very positive. As I moved on through the second and third grades this frustration and lack of confidence followed me. These feelings seeped over into my life at home with many tearfully frustrating nights of homework and eventually became a part of me. Then in the fourth grade. I had a teacher that believed every student could learn and be the best that they could be. By the end of that year I began to believe her and have a spark of that same belief in myself.

On through elementary, middle, and high school there were a handful of other teachers who were positive role models and who sought and brought out the best in not only me but all of their students. But there were many bumps and rocky roads along the way that sabotaged those positive attitudes and beliefs. By my senior year in high school I was still fighting my old frustrated, I can’t do any thing attitude. But as luck or fate would have it I came in contact with four teachers that had such positive life attitudes and the ability to share the understanding of the importance of a positive attitude in life with me that my belief began to take shape.

Living life each day with a positive attitude is not something that I believe always comes naturally for everyone. There are some of us in life that have to work at it each and every day. From my experience I do believe that thinking positively can change your life, making you a more successful and happier person. I guess that’s one of the reasons that I have chosen to go into the field of education. Maybe I can be one of those people that help someone else find the power of positive thinking like those teachers that helped me. Matter of fact I am positive I can be that kind of teacher.