arthur - jensen beach, Florida
Themes: hope, integrity, war

In Vietnam we lost over 50K men and women.

On 9/11 we lost over 3K men and women.

In Iraq we have lost almost 3K men and women.

Columbine, we lost 12.

Now Va. Tech, a producer of leaders, people who contribute to the well being and safety of the human race, we lose 33, maybe more.

Who’s to say that one or 100 or thousands of these people could have cured a disease, developed an engine that runs on air, maybe save my life or yours in the future. My God, we are killing our most valuable resource, our future leaders in every field of human endeavor.

Not to bring a religious tone to this, but there is evil and a great deal of it rearing up to steal us, to steal our light, our future. What can we do? We can become conscious. Ralph Nader once said, “The purpose of developing leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers”.

Are we up for this challenge? I pray we are.

As I talked about Vietnam and the other events with my friends I realized that my generation was, and to some extent, still is open minded and looking for answers.

I believe we made a conscious effort to stop that war, as well as bring the ‘cold war’ to an end. It was a stream of consciousness with such velocity and mass it could not be stopped.

We must do it again and again until consciousness, integrity and hope are restored to the beautiful people of this one of a kind place we call home.

This I believe.