Chauntier - Bedford Heights, Ohio
Themes: integrity

The generation I live in right now likes to call it “Keeping it real”. To most others it is better known as honesty. I believe in honesty within myself as well as being honest with others. I have been deceived in many different ways but being lied to have got to be the worse of them all.

Dishonesty does nothing more than destroy. Lying to yourself is self-destructing and lying to others destroys your image in their eyes. One lie always leads to another and so forth. Yet, if you just “keep it real” there is no need to build a lie upon a lie. Something else I realized about being dishonest is lies have to be committed to memory or else you will be caught within them. This is where the self-destruction begins to take its toll because committing those lies to memory means you have to start believing them yourself.

I remember one school year my younger brother wrote a cruel letter to a young lady. When confronted by her parents and our mom he lied and said he did not write the letter. For at least two weeks my little brother blatantly lied to our mother and myself. It was not until the principle and an officer at his school told him the letter could be considered sexual harassment if the young lady’s father decided to press charges, this information brought the truth out of him. Yet, it was too late in my mother’s eyes and mine. His image became tainted; he lied to us for two weeks making it hard to believe anything he had to say after the fact. I still love my brother but at that time I defiantly did not trust him. Our relationship became tarnished because I could no longer distinguish truth from lies whenever he was speaking to me.

I explained to him how lying can destroy how someone looks at you as a person. If you lie you cannot be trusted and people will never want to have friends like that. There is no person that genuinely likes being lied to and when this is done to someone the most common feeling felt is betrayal. Too many situations such as cheating and lying boyfriends have shaped my belief in honesty. I rather just “keep it real”, and make it someone’s personal choice to hate it or love it.