bob - suffern, New York
Themes: pleasure, work

Some days I get lucky

I work for a global corporation in a prosperous east coast suburb. We all drive our fancy cars to work in this hard driving, focused world. It’s mostly “all about me” wherever I go. Politics rules. Compassion is limited to a very few.

I’m in an alien environment. This isn’t “home.” It’s a good thing we make our annual pilgrimage “home” where sanity prevails, people have manners, it isn’t “all about me.” Lest we forget.

I have a presentation coming up before the lords who rule the company. I want it to go smooth and be rock solid. No point in getting worked up, which is easy to do. Presentation triple checked. But I need that little something to get me to sanity. I look at photos of my family and remember it will be all over in short order and I get to go home, look them in the eyes and know we are one. Unrequited love is a wonderful thing, even with all my warts and flaws.

Fact is, I know that I have to start this all over again tomorrow. The alarm wakes us all up at 3:58am. The whole family goes on the morning jog, the best time to be alive. We’re all together, outside and we don’t have to share with anyone, except the occasional paper delivery person. And that’s OK.

Listen, I’m just a small cog in a big wheel. Necessary, but just one cog of many. I’m just trying to figure out what works for me in a driven world. Some days I get lucky.

Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride.