Larry - la grande, Oregon
Themes: nature

I believe in Wilderness – all sorts of Wilderness – places to explore, meditate and get lost in.

The sites and sounds of Wilderness are natural and at times, wondrous. Wind through the aspen trees, rushing whitewater streams, the call of the goshawk. These pristine places offer a broadening of our experiences that lets us know we are alive and connected to our environment.

I believe Wilderness is a place for wolves to play their rightful part in the dynamics of the natural environment.

I believe Wilderness is a place for humans to visit but not remain. A place to connect with our spirits and talk to our inner soul, a place to ask questions and listen carefully for the answers.

I believe Wilderness is a place for children to embrace and share feelings and emotions that help them better understand the meaning of life.

As the population grows, the need for Wilderness grows. One of the best gifts we can give future generations is Wilderness for people and wildlife. These are places many people tend to visit to find peace and quiet in their lives. Designated Wilderness takes an act of Congress to protect public lands from human impacts such as roads and motorized vehicles. The United States is blessed with several diverse Wilderness areas and many potential Wilderness areas to be designated in the future. The need for more wilderness areas is the need for more freedom and peacefulness in our lives.

I look to Wilderness as a place of spiritual healing, solitude, restoration and recreation. The reasons why most Americans cherish public lands is for clean water, protection of rare species, old growth forests and naturalness – all protected by Wilderness.

An expression of love is acceptance. I accept and value loved ones for who they are and I don’t try and change them. The same is true for Wilderness.

I believe Wilderness embraces the wisdom of the past, the spontaneity of the present and the hope for the future.

As Aldo Leopold wrote, “There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot. Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question of whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.”