Rebecca - Killingworth, Connecticut
Themes: change

This I Belive

I received a downsizing notice on Halloween with a separation date of April Fools Day. How ironic! After 15 years of being overworked and some would say overpaid, I was entering the brave new world of career transition. What next? Follow dreams postponed or walk a safer path. This I believe: “no door is closed without a window being opened.”

What followed surprised me. Even after all the reading and all the talking, it took me months to find some degree of peace. You see, I am a worrier. So, I spent countless sleepless nights worrying about how long I could survive on my savings and when or if I’d really find a real job at my age. I counted pennies, postponed vacations (even though I had plenty of time on my hands), and paid astronomical health insurance premiums once my employee sponsored health benefits ran out. I tried to sell my house so I could move to a less expensive section of the country only to discover my house wasn’t worth much more than its purchase price 5 years earlier. This I believe: “no door is closed without a window being opened.”

All of us are faced at certain points in our lives with decisions which change our life’s path forever. Some of these decisions are obvious like marriage and children. Others are not so obvious, but can have equally profound consequences. For me, choosing to crawl out the window and step into something different is one of those decisions. Ask me in 20 years if I would do it again, because I’m still writing the outline for this chapter in my life.

This I believe: “no door is closed without a window being opened.” I am working again in a job that suits more closely my talents and prepares me for the next chapter of my life. But, this company too is downsizing or rightsizing or firing people to cut overhead. Call it whatever you want, literally hundreds of people are facing a door closing. As I watch people go through the same stages of grief at loosing their life’s work, their life’s role, and their ability to provide for their families, I have been surprised at how little I am worrying.

This I believe: “no door is closed without a window being opened.” It’s really easy to quote some cute little saying when tragedy hits. I’m convinced there are times when we can’t even see the window let alone crawl through it. For me having crawled through that window has changed the path of my life in ways I will never fully appreciate. But, the best gift for me has been finding peace from all that worry.