Sara - Altamont, New York

I believe life is a journey, a journey in which we chose different pathways that help guide us, and lead us through life.

Almost five years ago I got to bare witness to one of life’s greatest gifts. I was, and still am, able to see what once looked like a wrinkled up little man grow into a child. I got to watch as my brother made his first steps across the living room and he began to form words. Just being able to see the journey a new born takes to become a toddler is a inconceivable experience.

It’s so strange because when I think about it now, as I venture off to college next year, my brother Nicholas will just start his expedition into his education, as a kindergartner. I am finally making my way into a new chapter in my life. College, the gateway to adulthood and all things that come with it, it’s one of those pathways that I, like many in my situation will soon set foot on. Having to learn what it’s like to no longer have my parents hold my hand, and make my decisions. I will have the ability to begin the rest of my life.

Another stage we all have, or will eventually embark upon is that of death. Everyone has times in their lives when they need to grieve; it’s a process we all have to go through. Watching someone you love slip away is a hard concept to grasp, but dealing with it only lets us grow. I used to spend all my time with my grandpa as a young child. I can still remember walking to his house every afternoon where he would sit with me and tell me all different kinds of stories. There were times when he would let me go with him to take walks in the mall, and then take me out to breakfast. I used to love doing things like that with him. When I was about eight years old my grandpa died of a heart attack. I was a bit young, and it was hard for me to understand why he was leaving, but I knew that whatever it was he was in a better place. Now when I go visit his grave I realize how much death takes a toll on ones life, but I also realize that when you lose someone close to you, you understand the meaning of life, to learn and to teach.

As we enter new stages of our lives we learn to sacrifice and overcome. Not everything we want we get. Sometimes things don’t always go the way we wish. We have to learn to live with the curve balls God throws at us.

There are different stops during the road of life. Some we plan and others come unexpectedly. Always remember to live today as your last because life is a journey, and you never know when it’s going to end.