Nicole - Slingerlands, New York
Themes: humanism

This I Believe…

I believe that there is only one race, the human race.

Every school day morning I wake up to my alarm clock buzzing, hit snooze three times and then role effortlessly out of my bed. I take a long hot shower, and get ready for the rest of the day. I sit down in my first block class and see people, not races. Although not everyone in the class is my closest friend I still see them as equal. They are just people.

My favorite class is cinema. Not only do we get to watch movies, but also sometimes we even get to take field trips to the movie theater to see a movie that we will eventually dissect. What a class right? Well the movie that our class happened to be viewing was “Hotel Rwanda” directed by Terry George. Our class breaks down the cinematic techniques that the director is trying to use to portray a certain message. Throughout the movie several messages were being portrayed. The one that stood out to me was there is only one race, the human race.

In the film I witnessed the atrocities of Genocide in Rwanda, and the fighting between the Hutus and the Tutsis. They were fighting over years of oppression and for revenge. I think to myself what really makes a Hutu and a Tutsi? Is it the lightness of skin or width of the nose? Why aren’t they just African people?

One scene that really stands out in my mind, if you are familiar with the movie was when a reporter asked a woman who was sitting next to him if she was Hutu or Tutsi and she responded, “I am Tutsi”. Then he asked the woman’s friend sitting next to her the same question, and she responded “I and Hutu.”

This just goes to show that even in times of severe danger some people in Rwanda who were of different tribes could get along. Their friendship could not be broke by the mass murder that was taking place around them.

I can recall a personal experience of my own that demonstrates my belief. I volunteer my time to youth sports programs over the summer. I was helping little children learn the skills of field hockey. As I was teaching how to do a “push pass” I saw every little girls eyes looking with awe. It was truly an incredible experience to know that little kids look up to you. They were several different races and ages, but when I looked back at all of them I just saw kids not black and white.

I believe when I meet new people that it is not a question of what color or race they are; it is what kind of person they are. I believe in equality among humans and that together we can achieve great things. There is only one race and that is the human race, this I believe.