Bethany - Albany, New York

I believe in true friendship. When we’re young we make that certain group of friends where everyone is “Best friends forever.” As time passes on, that “BFF” idea fades, or is broken. People change and grow up. It’s the best experience to meet up and run into your old friends from your childhood and be able to connect again.

When I was younger I had two best friends, Erica and Eileen. We did everything together, we made secret clubs, ate together, even named our pets together. We had sleepovers every weekend complete with a pillow fight and those terrifying books “Scary Stories.” Our little pack was inseparable. I still remember the day when Erica told us she was moving away to another part of the state, her dad had gotten a new job. Eileen and I were crushed, we cried, and our pack was broken. When moving day came along and the trucks were packing away all the boxes, the three of us locked ourselves in our room and refused to come out. The parents even had to stick a key in to get the door open; they were dragging away the most important people in our lives. Next thing I knew she was heading down the street in her green minivan, while the rest of us were watching out the window. We sent letters back and forth for months and she visited every once and awhile, but we grew apart and stopped talking. The girl still living in my neighborhood got new friends and found ourselves two completely different people. A few years later Erica had called me long distance to tell me the most wonderful news- her family decided to move back, they missed everyone in Albany. When they finally found a house, it actually happened to be only one street away from where I lived. It was fantastic, and yet still our friendship became a memory and middle school tore us apart.

When high school rolled around, the three of us had classes together and we talked a bit. We quickly became the girls who always had to sit in front because we were always talking. We had reconnected. Our friendship was stronger than ever, even now we still spend a lot of time with each other; we talk about the most important things no one else could ever know.

It’s the most heartbreaking thing to lose a friend. When time passes, you remember what you once had together. You miss those memories and times. When you can come together and still be able to connect with the ones you loved, well that’s the best feeling in the world. They say you will have less than five close friends in a life time. Once you find them stick with them, live through the laughter and hardships. I believe in rekindling old friendships and really being those “Best friends forever.”