Kimberly - Guilderland, New York

I believe in never giving up, in always living for possibility. I believe in never shutting our minds off to new ideas or even old, antiquated ideas that seem too frail and feeble to survive; if we never turn off our minds we will surprise ourselves. And it’s these little and sometimes big surprises that we live for.

I remember being a wide-eyed eight year old, waking up each day with excitement for what the day could bring. I think it’s important not to lose this zeal for life as we grow older, to still live for possibility in life. When I was eight I believed anything could happen… the sky could rain with candy, the whole world could be covered in pink; I let my imagination run wild and never stopped it. I bottle that vigor inside myself when I entered an art contest at my school. I wasn’t much of an artist; I still can’t pick up a paintbrush and make something beautiful for the life of me, but the possibility of making something significant, something that made me proud, wouldn’t let me resist entering that contest. And surprisingly my amateur piece of artwork was selected to go on display at the art show. My mom now has it framed hanging in the living room as if it’s our own little Picasso. I remember how happy my parents were, going down to the exhibit that evening; how they boastfully smiled as they told everyone what a little artist I was.

I never took up painting; I didn’t make a career out of it, and to be honest nothing really came from that contest except a little surprise that put a smile on my face the entire night. But that was enough. There are many more impressive examples of possibility that have turned into reality in my life, as I’m sure there are for everyone. The point is to recognize and cherish them however big or small they may be. I believe in being undaunted, as I was nine years ago. I believe in living in the possibility life offers us and never forgetting our dreams and ambitions or the excitement that goes along with the possibility of achieving them.