Nicole - Altamont, New York

This I believe that miracles do happen.

The sound of brakes screeching is all I remember from that point on. Running out of the car, tears coming down along with the rain. The lady who stopped came up to me and asked me if I was okay, I couldn’t even speak I just shook my head, she told me the police were on the way. Next I asked if I could use her phone of course she said yes. I called my dads cell phone, thank God he answered I just blurted out that I was in an accident then I proceeded to tell him that my car was busted. Shockingly he told me that the car didn’t matter as long as I was okay and I told him I was okay. He then asked to talk to the lady and then I asked if I could use her phone to call my brother, I knew since it wasn’t a number that he would not recognize he wouldn’t pick up. The police then asked me if I wanted to sit in his police car as he asked me that I saw this blue car coming up the road at fast speed, the cop started to yell at the guy, he then through on his brakes and slid into the guard rail. As I looked at the back of his vehicle I realized that it was my brother Jeremy, I told the cop I knew the guy but he still went up to him and told him that it was very stupid to be driving that fast and now his car is dented, knowing my brother I thought he was going to hit the cop, but no he told him that his car meant shit to him and that all he cared about was he sister. We then went into my brothers car and sat there holding each other. The cop then came over to where I was sitting and told me what had happened. I was in my car driving 35 on a 55 and since there was a lot of black ice on the road, my car began to swerve as I through on my brakes the car began to spin. The cop then told me that I hit a tree right on and then I hit a mailbox. He then told me that it was a miracle that I was alive and walking due to the fact that my car was completely totaled and my airbags inflated.

When I got home from my accident I went to the doctors and found out that I sprained my arm and that I should get x-rays done to make sure nothing is broken. After the doctors during dinner my family and I all sat down and we just looked at each other, I have never seen my brother cry and at that moment he busted into tears, I asked him what was wrong and he told me that he was thinking about my accident and if I did die. I looked at my dad and then my mom. My dad then said “A miracle!”