Curtis - Albany, New York

All my life, I’ve been told to do the right thing. Whether it’s to help an old lady cross the street, hold the door open for a pregnant woman, or simply use my manners. I can’t lie, most of my life I’ve lived by what my parents told me to do. It wasn’t until I went to the movies with my God brother, Harold, to see Star Wars that I realized that doing the “right” thing is only a P.O.V. the desire to do the right thing blinds us and forces us to, in some cases, choose the worst solution.

I then began looking at life through “a new pair of eyes.” Things such as hang out with friends instead of going home and doing homework seemed like the right thing to do in my head. The right decisions that I made began to become the wrong decisions to my mother. The right decision that I thought was the biggest I’ve ever had to go through was when drugs became a factor.

My friend had decided that he needed a little extra cash. I guess he thought the right thing to do was to start dealing weed out to kids that he knew. So one weekend he needed what I call a friend. He was leaving his house for the weekend and needed somebody to hold onto his stash while he was out of town. Of course, me being a good friend volunteered. Now many people would say that the idea was a poor choice, or a flaw in my judgment but to this day I believe that I made the right (probably not the best) decision by holding onto it for him. Out of my “right” decision came the worst situation. I was caught in possession of and arrested with 2 ounces of marijuana. For people who don’t know, it’s the most weed a student has ever been caught with at my school. Maybe other kids might have been thinking of what they’re going to tell their parents, but all I could think of was not giving anybody my friends name and taking the heat for the whole situation. And that is exactly what I did. In my mind, I’d rather die than betray a friend. Knowing that I could face up to 3 months in jail, I still believe that I did the right thing by not giving anybody any information on whose it was and why I had it. The reason that I believe I did the right thing is because I am not in prison and I am back in school. God made sure of that.

So to let it be known, I believe that there is no right or wrong. These two judgments are simply decided based upon what one believes. But one also has to realize that the “right” decision is not always the “best” decision. That’s a whole new ball game.