Danielle - SCHENECTADY, New York
Themes: death, family

When life deals us cards, we play them to the best of our abilities. My uncle was a man that no matter what cards life dealt him, he made the best out of every situation. He spent his life taking care of other people, and never asked until the day he died for anything in return. He was married to my aunt for 53 years before he died, and he loved her with every piece of his heart. Some would say he was only my great uncle, which isn’t an important title to many. My Uncle Ed was more than that. HE was like a grandfather and a best friend. He always would play with me and my brother, or buy us our favorite candy when we were sad. Never a day in my life did I ever see him sad, no matter what he was going through at the time.

When he turned 80, my Uncle Ed got sick. We had discovered soon after that he has lung cancer. Never a day in his life had he smoked, but he still had lung cancer. Ed had grown up working for the telephone companies, and also worked in the Navy with asbestos. When my uncle found this out, he was the one consoling everyone else, he was still happy about the life he had and the life he was leading.

The day he died, my grandmother had taken us to the hospital to visit. I walked in the room, and immediately knew it was the last time I would see him. He was pale, and he was completely out of it. But when I said, “Hi Uncle Ed, its Dani,” He smiled and put his hand on mine. To this day I will remember him as the happiest man I ever knew. He was smiling up until the moment he died.

I believe to live life to fullest. You need t o make the best out of every situation life throws at you. This is something I learned from my Uncle Ed. Something that I will never forget.