Julie - Leawood, Kansas

Com~pe~ti~tion

Waking up at five thirty in the mourning is hard at first, but you get used to it as the years pass. I never realized how few cars are out at six in the mourning. Once we arrive, the blood is already racing through my veins. I see my team to the side, mentally and physically preparing themselves for this stressful day full predictions and questions that will be answered. Captains are called, warm-ups are finished, and the game begins.

The first game might have been the worst. In volleyball, the match is the best out of three. We came into this tournament with large egos, like most confident teams do. Once we started playing, we were surprised with the amount of competition we had to deal with. That match went to three where we barely won. The next match would be the most important and decide our futures. My goal since starting to play this sport was to make it to nationals. This was the deciding match. Previously, we had lost to them, but my team was determined to fulfill our dream.

The game was intense; people diving everywhere, girl’s cries of desperation, and cheers that came with a block or kill. The points went back and forth, and I became nervous. But, at that moment, we dug down deep, past the exhaustion and pain of floor burns, and found our greatest weapon, a second wind. We put everything into those last couple of points.

The final whistle blew and an eruption of cheers came from our parents. We won and we realized that all of our work had paid off. I was crying tears of joy as I ran to my mom and found that she was crying like me. We hugged and rambled on about how happy we were. Even my dad and sister, who weren’t able to make it, showed up. Nothing else could make this moment better other than the fact that our next game was for first place and we won. It was a perfect day.

These types of moments I thrive on. The work and sacrifices I make just so I can have these moments are worth it. I believe that competition makes life living for. What would be the point of going to practices, staying up till three in the mourning, and skipping outings so I get enough sleep for the next day’s tournament? Athletics, higher positions for jobs, and more opportunities give people something to work for. They may not always get what they want, but they learn from their experience and try again.

Even though competition brings out a winner and a loser, it pushes people to work there hardest and they get the most out of life. They can also be proud of themselves knowing they tried there hardest. When it’s all over, they can feel good about themselves. This…I Believe.