Kirk - petoskey, Michigan
Themes: pleasure

I believe in vacations

I believe that everyone should go on vacation. As I sit down for lunch after a grueling morning of hanging drywall, I tell my co-worker Rob that I am heading to Florida next week. His response floors me, “I’ve never been on vacation.” How can this be? How can people go thru life without taking time for themselves? Why does the rat race have to win?

A vacation is a trip away from the norm. Whatever you decide to do, deciding to not take a vacation could cause a lifetime of enslavement. A slave mentality is one where they just don’t know any other way. They go through life with blinders on. If you don’t take time for yourself then bad things can happen.

The rat race does not have to win. Making time for a vacation isn’t that hard. All someone has to do is decide to do it and then follow through. This might take longer for some more than others. The other thing that holds people back is money. It’s a decision to do something and then follow through. I realize that not everyone can drop everything and go on vacation. This is where planning comes into play. You have to figure out where you want to go, find out how much it will cost to go and then start saving small amounts till you arrive at your goal. It’s that easy.

When I was a little boy, my parents took us on a trip to California. The timing of this trip was shortly after we had a house fire. Our whole world was turned upside down and I was having trouble figuring out what was important and what wasn’t. To an 11 year old material things were very important and with all that gone I needed something else. That is when vacations slid into my life as a replacement. The worry free feeling, the sense of exploration and the overpowering feeling of release from the day to day grind got me hooked. My soul was refreshed.

So yes, I believe that everyone should make time for a vacation. The benefits are so evident. All you have to do is ask someone who has just come back from a vacation if they feel better or not. Most of the time that person will say yes. However, there are bad vacations where nothing goes right. But, if you ask that person a couple days later if they feel better than when they left I’ll bet they say yes. A vacation, even a bad one, is good for the soul. This I believe.