Nikolas - Gaylord, Michigan

I believe in successful happiness. Albert Schweitzer once said, “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful”. If you truly love what you are doing you will be successful at it, and by being successful, you will be happy. I am not talking about setting a goal for changing your cars oil this weekend, or making a payment on your credit card, because most people are not happy with doing this. I am talking about setting a goal through a challenge. I believe this because I know it works.

I was offered a management position at my work. My General Manager pulled me aside and asked me about joining the management staff. Without any question, I said “YES!” It was a difficult task to accomplish with many tests, studying, and memorizing. I set a high goal to achieve and I was going to achieve it. Throughout the next four months, I went into early to work and stayed later. Reading book after book, watching video after video, page after page all came down to one day. This was my final test, and took me about two hours to do. I got my score back, and I passed with an 84%. Pretty good for a 17 year old taking a management test. I was successful at achieving my goal, therefore I was happy.

That is proof that I believe in successful happiness. If you set your mind to something, you can achieve it. One time I did not achieve my goal but I know that I did my very best and I was happy with that. I was on the 10th grade track team. I love to run; the wind blowing in your face, the sound of your shoes hitting the pavement, and not to mention it’s a great way to get in shape.

My goal was to beat my friend Eric in the lane next to me. Eric and I have a competitive friendship. If he does something, I have to do it 10 times better and vice versa. The gun sounds, and we take off in a running frenzy. Within a matter of seconds, the race is over. I did not beat Eric, but I improved my time. I wanted to get a better time in the long run, so I was happy with that too. This is why I believe in successful happiness.

Throughout my lifetime, I have had many challenges to overcome. Some of them harder than others, and some that I did not know if I could make it through them, but in the end, I did. I have learned to try to make the best out of bad situations, and learn from my mistakes. This is why I believe in successful happiness