Julia - Kent, Washington

Anyone who is reading this now has two things in common with anyone else who will ever read this. You were born into this world, and you will eventually leave this world. When we were younger we were told nursery rhymes and stories to help us accept death. Most of us have heard, “ring around the rosy” and at the end of each verse everyone falls down, implying everyone dies. The purpose of pets was to show us to love and how to care. Once you were attached to this creature you harshly realize that nothing lives forever. Many of us are religious and religion is what helps us cope with these short yet beautiful lives we live. Sometimes I find it unreal to think that one day I’ll be nothing, buried in a grave that is long forgotten unable to still walk this earth. We will be unable to think, breathe, or be. Everyone thinks we are all so different, with races, opinions, morals, and appearance. Yet when it comes down to it, everyone is the same, we are the same flesh, the same structure, and given the same gift of life. Yet even in this story of sorrow, I believe that life is short for a very good reason.

In my experiences I have never lost any one or anything that was close to me. Yet I can imagine how it will feel. I remember along time ago when I was about 4 years old, I picked up an ant and played with it for awhile and then crushed It between my fingers. I watched as the life just disappeared and the ant was still. I felt really upset because this ant as small as he was, had been given the same opportunity at life as me. It was given one life and would never be given another one. It made me realize that I really did just have this one life this blank page that I could mold, twist, and discover to make it my own. Yet I would have to take the initiative and make the most out of life before it was too late and over like the ants. Life is short so you could live everyday like it was the last day of your life. You have to think about it, and get out of the bleak normal routines. What if you only had one more day to live? How would you make that day just a little brighter than all the rest. People expect that everyday they will wake up, and they have enough time to waste days mindlessly getting sucked into the world of electronics. I’m not saying that I never do this; I just know that every time I do I feel more and more guilty and try to avoid it. Yet on the other hand if things like watching TV and sitting around truly bring pleasure to your life than you should do that all the time. It’s your choice to spend your life however you want to, but do it to where it fulfills your needs. Life is short to help you, to help you realize you have so many opportunities to do exactly what you want to do with your life. Anyone is able to do anything. Whether they want to go to the moon, or they want to be crack dealer. Joe dirt said, “Life is a garden, dig it”. I think, everyone starts out with a large brown square of earth and you decide what to plant there and what to nurture. I believe we were put on the planet to exist. Not necessarily to change the world or find the cure. Just simply to exist, and enjoy that you can still breathe and think, and learn to seize every single day. Life is short so the unworthy and greedy have the very same chance and experience as everyone else. And those people who choose to make the most out of life show us the beauty that should be seen by everyone. I believe this so strongly I think about it every single night before I go to sleep. I wonder and I think how much longer will I be here? And if I’m not how can I make today just that little bit better.