Shayne - Houghton Lake, Michigan
Themes: change

School Uniforms

The questions of what student should wear to public schools rouses strong emotions on both sides. While doing the research for this essay, I have come to the conclusion that there has not been enough data and statistics given to the public to come up with a hard core yes or no as to wearing or not wearing uniforms would benefit the student, parents, or the school system.

Educators, parents and some students site some reasons they are in favor of the school uniform or against it. Uniforms are normally found in private schools, but since 1987 it has been a slow growing acceptance in the public school system. By 1997, the uniforms for public schools have increased three percent.

Administrators are finding a uniform eliminates the dress code restriction of inappropriate insignias and gang slogans that could cause violence in their system. The fashion fads combined with peer pressure can lead to financial pressures families can not sometime afford.

The wearing of school uniforms persuades membership and group identity, and not so much of the fashion cliques, while improving educational learning. The students while wearing uniforms emphasize more time on a classmates unique and personal feelings.

In a Long Beach, Ca. school the crime rate dropped by ninety-one percent in 1995 when they made uniforms mandatory. This study was done by the National Center for education.

The opposing sides of the uniform question believe the uniforms interfere with students’ right for self-expression. There are unnecessary expenses that can create an economic hardship on the families to purchase the garments. They believe that if the uniforms are ugly or unflattering and having to wear something unattractive can help to undo a students’ self-image. The wearing of school uniforms may give students the impression that conformity is the way of life and not the appropriate message for schools to send to their children.

Some of the private schools do give their children a free day. This is a day to wear what they like and to express their personal styles. I think this would help settle some of the opposing sides’ questions.

My personal opinion is, “Yes, I believe in uniforms for the reason the Nation Center for Education has presented.” The crime reduction rate is a huge reason to at least try this in your school system.