Keisha - Lanham, Maryland

This I believe

I believe that I have changed the lives of my two teenage brothers, because of my generosity.

I am the oldest of three children; I was born and raised in Portland Jamaica. At the age of nineteen my father decided to file the necessary paperwork in order for me to enter the United States; leaving behind my two younger brothers. At the time, Tom was thirteen years old and Patrick was sixteen years old. They had a very hard time dealing with my absence, because as kids we were very close. Two weeks after I arrived in Maryland, I received a very disturbing phone call from my mother. She was crying historically because both Patrick and Tom were constantly getting in trouble with the law, they refused to go to school and she doesn’t no what she should do. I immediately ran to the gas station and bought a phone card and call them. The phone rang once and Patrick answered, he broke down and began crying. “I told him to put his brother on the other line.” I proceed to asked them why they are acting so badly. They told me “we are unhappy with our living arrangement; someone needs to help us before we end up in prison or arm ourselves.” We talked for one hour, I assured them that I will do whatever I could to help them; they were very happy. That was all I needed to here from them. Two days later I mail two thousand dollars to my mother in Jamaica. She used the money to rent two rooms in the town and pay for their school fee so they could start school the following week. Since then both Patrick and Tom attend school everyday. On their first two report cards they received A’s and B’s. They no longer get themselves in trouble with the law; and most importantly, they attend church every Sunday with friends and family.

Finally, because of my generosity, I believed that my brothers were able to change their lives for ever.