John - Taylor, Pennsylvania
Themes: peace

This I believe: Peace. We all seek it. People want peace in their families, in their relationships, at work, in their lives. A universal calling, the main objective of all governments is to be at peace with the rest of the world. It is the principal doctrine behind all religions. Without peace, everyone would live in fear of chaos and calamity.

For many years, I thought of myself as content and today I still think of myself that way. However, even though I claimed to be peaceful, I never really felt it inside my soul. Peace is something that cannot be achieved over night; it needs to be obtained through confrontation, admittance, and resolution. A couple years ago, I exploded with boisterous outrages of hate towards everyone in my life. I could not comprehend why I was suffering from these sudden outbreaks over matters that didn’t appear to have and importance in my life.

After some time, I began to grow tired of my negative attitude towards everything, and I wanted to find serenity. To do that, I knew I would have to change many aspects of my life. I then began to read about different philosophies that all believed “life is beautiful”. I also began to look at the culture I belonged to. Most of the people I knew had it a lot tougher than I did, and I began to understand that one must appreciate and rejoice in the joys of the world. I feel that life is truly superb and should not be taken for granted.

I finally understood that peace is essential to my wellbeing. It is a necessity for the whole world, it works wonders. To reach and maintain a state of tranquility is not an easy task. I need to keep an open mind and embrace others with love. This I truly believe, peace is the answer.