Amanda - moosic, Pennsylvania

This I Believe…

I believe that people should stay true to themselves and not change for anyone. If you have set certain standards and values for yourself then you shouldn’t lower them no matter what. My father has three daughters, so I’ve had the “no guy is good enough for any of you” speech over and over again. I never truly knew what it meant until my freshman year of high school when I had my first real relationship. He was a sophomore and I thought he was the funniest, nicest guy ever. I did know one thing though: and that was that I didn’t want to bring him home to meet my dad. I knew he wasn’t the type that my father would approve of. That was big mistake number one on my part! He was the type of guy that could get almost any girl he wanted. He had the bad boy streak in him. To this day I cannot believe that I was dumb enough to date such a loser. We started dating in March, and he was supposed to be moving to Texas in July, I didn’t think it would become anything serious. By the time July came around and he moved away we still kept in touch and I entered into a long distance relationship. That was big mistake number two! We used to talk on the phone for hours at a time. My whole sophomore year was a waste because all I cared about was this boy. I would come to school and sleep through all my classes because I would be up all night talking to him. I don’t know what it was that convinced me that this was “real”. He talked about us getting back together when I moved back to the States. Some of the time I believed him until he told me about all these other girls that he was with. I still kept talking to him and believed the lies he told me. From the beginning this guy was no good for me. I should have never gotten involved with a person like that. I am glad however that I never gave in to what he really wanted. I didn’t sacrifice my morals or didn’t lower my standards for him. I just fell in to his traps of manipulation. I have learned a lot since then and I won’t ever make such a stupid mistake again. Now I am with a guy that my dad very much approves of, in fact my whole family loves him. I wasn’t at all afraid to introduce him to my parents.