Kayle - Taylor, Pennsylvania

Categorical

Unconditional is the love of a family. How many times are we told that families will always love each other no matter what happens? Um, paternal/maternal love is automatic, or so I always thought. I love my family and we all express our feeling towards each other. Do I hug my mom daily? Of course I do. I could never conceive a loveless family. For years I was living in a dream and thought that every family was perfect and everything was always bright.

I recall walking into a house. Its light blue exterior seemed appealing. The country décor inside and made me feel at home. He never looked at it as a home. I could tell by the way he shifted from room to room. The family barely talked and I felt awkward. Communication only consisted of insults. I soon realized that I hated the way his parents bickered back and forth with him. I hated the way they put him down. He was raised this way, it was his everyday life. Maybe I was the only thing that made his day. I know why he hated to leave at night because when he got home he knew his mother would tell him that he was not college material, despite his 3.8 GPA. My dream was shattered by a family I would one day call my own. I never thought I’d want a part of a dysfunctional family, but I do. I want to help them. Most importantly I want to help him. Families should love one another not be at war.