Kara - Taylor, Pennsylvania

This I believe: People don’t learn from their mistakes. They think they have learned a lesson, and they promise themselves and everyone else that they will change, but most of the time they end up making the same mistake. And even worse, they use the same excuse to try and make up for the mistake. Well, I made the same mistake, twice. I dated a boy my freshman year of high school. I thought he was the greatest person in the world. He would listen to my problems and comfort me. I returned the favor. His family was my family, and mine was his. We had our friends, but we were first in one another’s list of priorities. A year later, fighting began for ridiculous reasons. He ended up cheating on me with some girl he went to vocational school with. Many people told me he was going behind my back, but I didn’t believe them. When I finally confronted him, he lied and denied. We broke up soon after the truth surfaced and months past before we even attempted to become friends. I thought I learned my lesson. But, during my junior year, I had my eye on a new boy. He transferred from Bishop O’Hara and was the nicest person I ever met. A friend of mine became good friends with him. We starting hanging out, first just as friends; going to the movies, playing pool. We exchanged phone numbers and screen names and we became the best of friends. Weeks later we began an amazing relationship. Faith and trust meant the world to us. He wasn’t just my boyfriend; he was my best friend, my protector. After seven months, fighting began over another girl, and gradually moved to another guy, which led to fighting over who was going to hang up the phone first, and why he wasn’t standing at my locker waiting for me in between classes. Everything changed. He no longer called me every night to say goodnight, nor did he call me at 7am to make sure I was awake for school. He suddenly grew a massive amount of “friends”, It was springtime after all. Ten months, three weeks and five days later, we ended up as acquaintances and nothing more ever again. I guess that’s what I get for letting the bad times overpower the good.